Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Law of Connection by Michael J. Losier - Book Review



Title: Law of Connection
Author: Michael J. Losier
Pages: 145
Publisher: Wellness Central (New York) 2009

After reading and writing a review of Law of Attraction by Michael J. Losier, I decided based on that good experience to give his second book a try. Law of Connection did not disappoint. As a pastor and communicator in many forms I am always looking for ways to improve my communication skills and so this book promised a simple yet foolproof way to do just that by using Neuro-Linguistic Programing (NLP).

Like Law of Attraction this is work through book; that is, you are going to be doing something not just reading it. The basic outline is Rapport, Calibrating and Understanding Communication Styles. It is the third part that he spends the most time. He breaks down communication styles into four groups: Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic (Feel), and Digital (Mental). The basic idea is to identify the style of the person you are talking to and then adjust your language and listening skills to that style to build rapport. It talks about both the strengths and challenges of each style and how to relate better to people who are not your style.

The real strength of the book is the test that allows you to identify you dominate style and more importantly your weakest. This way you can know what you need to work on to communicate better. The test, if you let others take it, will also help you identify their style so you can know the challenges of how to communicate with them and build better communication because of it.

Probably the best way to illustrate this is using myself. When I took the test, I scored a 33 Digital, 25 Auditory, 22 Visual and 20 Kinesthetic. That means my dominate way of communicating is by sharing ideas and thoughts. My weakest being Kinesthetic means I have a hard time with people who use feeling language of touch or heart. It means when I talk I use words like "think, understand, I know ..." but it would be rare for me to use words like "How does that feel? etc." For me to improve my communication I need to work on this and start balancing my language between all four styles.

Another great feature is the many ways Michael shows how to use the Law of Connection in real life situations. Groups, Business, Dating, Marriage, Parenting, etc. are all covered. One that caught my attention was website issues and it gave me some real tools to evaluate my blog to see who it appeals to and how to make it appeal to more people. I have something for everyone but there are some areas that are more strong than others. Thanks Michael, I am going to put this to use.

Stylistically, the book is written to appeal to all styles of communication so it practices what it preaches. It also is another book that is a quick and easy read so it has a mass appeal and wont kill your time to read it.

Rating: 4 and a half stars: Law of a Attraction was a good book, Law of Connection I liked even better. This book was extremely helpful and I plan on putting it into practice. It is one of those rare books that breaks things down simply and gets its point across: I see it, I hear it, I feel it and I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment