Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Christian Science Fiction

Now I have always loved science. I know it may seem odd to see a pastor who loves science but when I was in High School it was my favorite subject and I received good grades for it. I was old school about my beliefs about science; in that, I believed you could not study the world without running headlong to intelligent design and to me it proved itself true time and time again. One of the main reasons I become a creationist in the first place was my love of science and my continued disappointment at the way it was being hijacked and turned into an atheist/agnostics only club.

Along with this love of science came a love for science fiction – not the stuff you see in Star Wars or that kind of thing but the kind of science fiction that has a little science to it. The kind of thing you see in Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov or Harry Harrison. Note I mean their books, not the nonsense that Hollywood has turned into movies. The kind of hard edge science fiction writers that kept a generation spellbound with the wonders of what science could accomplish. Many of which came true: Robots, landing on the moon, space stations, satellites, cell phones, etc. all were dreams of all these writers and bam they became reality. Now granted I believe that all these men rejected Christianity, but some of their observations about the world, science and even religion were on somewhat on and it pays sometimes to listen to their criticism and observations to this day.

In the world of Christian science fiction you have so few books that are at a higher level than children’s. C.S. Lewis was the first to take a crack at it with his space trilogy written before any kind of practical space travel. His work more resembles fantasy than science fiction but it did look like the science fiction of his day. The other one I know of is Kathy Tyers who wrote the Firebird trilogy and now writes Star Wars books. Her science fiction has that Star Wars kind of feel. I suppose if you count Frank Perretti and the authors of the Left Behind series there are a few. But the focus of these is never the science but the morality and spiritually of something. The one thing you don’t see in any of the modern guys is a concern to be both scientifically accurate and spiritually enlightening.

Why the big deal to me? Because I know the power of story on the human mind and soul, that’s why. Look at the recent Da Vinci Code nonsense. Isn’t it interesting how a fictional work has been exalted to historical truth level in the minds of some, because people want to believe it is true? Look at C.S. Lewis’ Narnia. How many Christian concepts can you count, in the form of allegory, in that series? Story can win a persons heart and mind faster than logic. It can teach a concept faster than anything. Take Jesus’ parables as an example of how complex issues of the kingdom of God can be broken down so quickly and explained so simply that anyone can understand them. I believe that Christian science fiction could do the same with Creationism and some of the moral and ethical decisions science is forcing us to make and show how God’s code could also help in the advancement of science and progress.

One of the other things that troubles me is the nature of science fiction causes me to think we Christian scientists may lack imagination. Science fiction for the secular scientist is a coupling of science and imagination that causes their side of the aisle to dream of possibilities and come up with theories about scientific progress and its effects it could have. Christian scientists seem stuck in the mode of offense by defense instead of coming up with imaginative ways to explain their view is true. Showing how Christians do not fear science because it is our ally has not been Christianity’s strong suit these days. About the only thing that comes close is the nonsense of theistic evolution, but that is not very imaginative. More like a half surrender.

I think the lack of good Christian science fiction shows a few things; 1) we lack the ability to couple our scientific beliefs and imagination into showing our views in ways that inspire both confidence and fuel inquiry into the world around us through story. 2) It shows that we seem to fear scientific possibilities instead on saying what needs to be said: ‘science and the progress it brings are good, but we need the wisdom of God to use it wisely” and 3) It shows that we fear something – “progress in science might destroy faith or change our traditions drastically”. So we leave it alone.

Religious people are often accused of lacking imagination, being sticks in the mud as far as advancing technology because of fear and being intellectually vacant because of belief in God. I think the first problem may be true and it’s our lack of science fiction that is one sign it may be true.

This whole thought has caused me to think that I need to write fiction – science fiction in which discovery is embraced not feared and Christianity can show itself imaginative and intellectually honest at the same time about what science is discovering and the possibilities for the future need not have a world where science and Christianity are incompatible at all.

4 comments:

  1. Heh, I've been through that whole thought process myself, and tried to write Christian sf as a result too.

    But I am intrigued: what would you say qualifies as 'Christian' sf?

    ReplyDelete
  2. uksteve,

    Hey thanx for the links. I will definitely take a look at some of these books. Christian or no as the target for them.

    Here is the thing I think people learn more from story than straight teaching Oor at least story must illustrate principle for people to reall get it and understand it.

    I use Heinlein as an example becasue many are devoted followers of his political, religious and societal ethics but he never really wrote on any of these subjects directly. It was all there in his books but he got them across better as a story teller than as a politician or military man. The characters would speak parts of his beliefs and the books then illustrated how it would work. I like his style and he still has a great following today.

    It just seems that Christians in general just want to bury their head in the sand on a lot of scientific issues and it seems that Sci Fi would be the platform to engage them and bring things across in story. It jsut seems that most out there has a 'cartoon' feel.

    Thanx for stopping by and the links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind comment on my blog, Pastor Ed.

    There are a few Baptist and Methodist sf writers - Steve Lawhead is an example of the first, and Zenna Henderson of the second. I've read Kathy Tyers' Shivering World and think it's very good work. So it is possible. It just seems like those churches have been more experience-focused and less speculative, as well as being somewhat more strict on doctrinal matters (at least lately).

    Your ideas for SF plots sound interesting to me. My two-cents advice would be to intensively read the sf/fantasy Christians who have gone before, as well as the sf/fantasy greats in general. And aim high, for something that meets the standards of the sf field, as well as of Christian readers. People of all stripes will read it, if it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. elliot,

    Yeah that has been my angle so far -- to read what I can find. So far i am leaning toward the third idea the most because it has the most potential to keep me interested.

    Your list is great because I now can look up some of these things and get some books

    ReplyDelete