Saturday, January 8, 2011

Book Review: "Ten Powerful Phrases for Positive People" by Rich DeVos

Title: Ten Powerful Phrases for Positive People
Author: Rich DeVos
Publisher: Center Street (New York)
Pages: 169

Review:
I have often marvelled at how the most successful people have such basic philosophies of success. Rich DeVos is one of those people. This book is one of those coffee table type books that is both simple to read and understand. It has powerful testimonies. It's message is clear -- if you want positive things to happen you must be a positive person. To be a positive person you must think and speak in positive language.

Strengths:
1. This book is one of the easiest to read form a style point of view. I finished it in two hours and that is fast even for me. It simply does not have language that bogs you down.
2. The principles outlined in this book are both classic and life changing if applied. There is no rocket science here, just solid philosophy
3. The author lives what he preaches.

Weaknesses:
1. While I was grateful for the 'ten phrases' I would have appreciated a few suggestions on how to put them into practice. The 'how to' is lacking in depth.
2. Lack of a transformation story by the author. I mean very simply that by his own admission, Rich has always been a positive guy. There is no real point where he switches from being negative to positive so people could understand what happens.

Rating: 4 stars. I like the book it really inspired me to be more positive person; so much so, I made it a part of my rules for life. If there had been a little more practical advice on how to implement the ten phrases and some sort of transformation story I would have given it a better rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment